Pelvic pain could be from multiple causes but pelvic venous congestion is responsible for up to 30% of pelvic pain in women. Pelvic congestion needs to be differentiated from other causes of pelvic pain like uterine fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease, ovarian cyst and gastrointestinal causes.
PELVIC CONGESTION SYMPTOMS
- Pelvic pain & discomfort, sometimes associated with generalized lethargy & depression
- Pain worse by sitting, prolonged standing & towards the end of the day or just before menses.
- Varicose veins in the perineum, buttock, lower extremities & hemorrhoids mostly in women.
- Most common in pre-menopausal age group.
MODERN PELVIC CONGESTION TREATMENT OPTIONS
We provide various pelvic congestion treatment options
- Medical management included medroxyprogesterone acetate or the GnRH analog Goserelin.
- Laparoscopic ligation bilateral ovarian veins- needs general anesthesia
- Newest & nonsurgical treatment is percutaneous pelvic vein embolization therapy.
- Significant improvement in up to 83% of women in their overall pain perception.