PELVIC CONGESTION PAIN
CAUSES OF PELVIC CONGESTION PAIN
Pelvic pain could be from multiple causes but pelvic venous congestion is responsible for up to 30% of pelvic pain in women. Pelvic congestion needs to be differentiated from other causes of pelvic pain like uterine fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease, ovarian cyst and gastrointestinal causes.
PELVIC CONGESTION SYNDROME PRESENTATIONS
- Pelvic pain & discomfort, sometimes associated with generalized lethargy & depression
- Pain worse by sitting, prolonged standing & towards the end of the day or just before menses.
- Varicose veins in the perineum, buttock, lower extremities & hemorrhoids mostly in women.
- Most common in pre-menopausal age group.
PELVIC CONGESTION SYNDROME TREATMENT OPTIONS
- Medical management included medroxyprogesterone acetate or the GnRH analog Goserelin.
- Laparoscopic ligation bilateral ovarian veins- needs general anesthesia
- Newest & nonsurgical treatment is percutaneous pelvic vein embolization therapy.
- Significant improvement in up to 83% of women in their overall pain perception.
Boston Vein Care is a comprehensive vein center, wound carer & vascular medicine practice offering the full spectrum of the vein, wound & vascular diagnostic & treatments. We also provide health screening from offices in Wellesley, MA & Chelmsford, MA.