ULTRASOUND GUIDED SCLEROTHERAPY
Ultrasound helps to visualize veins which can not be seen with naked eyes. We use ultrasound sclerotherapy for intermediate size veins (mostly reticular veins) which are bigger than spider veins but smaller than varicose veins. Injection into arteries and deep veins can have serious consequences. Ultrasound helps to differentiate superficial veins from arteries and deep veins. Other than this visualization procedure is similar to sclerotherapy.
PRE ULTRASOUND ASSISTED SCLEROTHERAPY INSTRUCTIONS
- Sclerotherapy is an elective and mostly cosmetic procedure and doesn't require any special preparation.
- Treatment effects are mostly localized to a treatment site and in people without the history of cardiovascular abnormality should not have many systemic effects.
- Do not apply tanning lotions or self-tanners to your legs the night before or on the day of your treatment.
- Bring loose fitting shorts and the long skirt or long loose fitting slacks to wear after treatment.
- Your treatment will take from 30-45 minutes.
POST ULTRASOUND ASSISTED SCLEROTHERAPY INSTRUCTIONS
- Immediately after the procedure, put on support hose and walk for 10-30 minutes.
- Usually not required but we may use cotton balls with or without tape, which generally can be removed within next couple of hours.
- If you feel you are developing the allergy (itching, rash or redness) to tape, please remove the tape and put on support stocking.
- You are encouraged to walk as much as you normally and comfortably can and avoid prolonged sitting or period of immobility.
- Most patients can return to work immediately after the procedure
- Pigmentation is rare, but avoid sunbathing and UV exposure for 1 week, if you notice any pigmentation after a procedure.
- If you experience any redness or bump or wound, please contact us immediately. We would like to know sooner than later and recommend appropriate remedies.
- Light and low impact exercise can be started on the day of the procedure.
- intermediate intensity exercise can be started a day after the procedure.
- High-intensity exercises like weight lifting and intense aerobic exercise can be started 3 days after a procedure.
- Sometimes patient note dark areas along the line of treated vein. It represents trapped blood in treated/closed vein. Please contact us in that case. We might like to drain that clotted blood to avoid dark pigmentation around treated vein.
- Mostly we use ultrasound guided sclerotherapy for medium sized veins and we advise avoiding flights for about 48 hours after the procedure.