Sclerotherapy is to treat spider veins and prominent lymphatics. A chemical (sclerosant) is injected into the vessels, which makes them shrink. In our practice sometimes we use this technique even for smaller varicose veins.
PATIENT PRE-SCLEROTHERAPY INSTRUCTIONS
- Sclerotherapy is an elective and mostly cosmetic procedure and doesn't require any special preparation.
- Treatment effects are mostly localized to a treatment site and in people without the history of cardiovascular abnormality should not have many systemic effects.
- Do not apply tanning lotions or self-tanners to your legs the night before or on the day of your treatment.
- Bring loose fitting shorts and the long skirt or long loose fitting slacks to wear after treatment.
- Your treatment will take from 30-45 minutes.
PATIENT POST SCLEROTHERAPY INSTRUCTIONS
- Immediately after the procedure, put on support hose and walk for 10-30 minutes.
- Usually not required but we may use cotton balls with or without tape, which generally can be removed within next couple of hours.
- If you feel you are developing an allergy (itching, rash or redness) to tape, please remove the tape and put on support stocking.
- You are encouraged to walk as much as you normally and comfortably can and avoid prolonged sitting or period of immobility.
- Most patients can return to work immediately after the procedure
- Pigmentation is rare, but avoid sunbathing and UV exposure for 1 week, if you notice any pigmentation after a procedure.
- If you experience any redness or bump or wound, please contact us immediately. We would like to know sooner than later and recommend appropriate remedies.
- Light and low impact exercise can be started on the day of the procedure.
- Intermediate intensity exercise can be started a day after the procedure.
- High-intensity exercises like weight lifting and intense aerobic exercise can be started 3 days after a procedure.