Microphlectomy is a medical procedure used to treat medium sized veins after endovenous treatment of varicose veins. In this procedure by using a micro scalpel a small skin incision is made and disease vein is pulled out with a tiny surgical hook.
PRE MICROPHLEBECTOMY INSTRUCTIONS
- Do not take Aspirin or other blood-thinning drugs (e.g., Vitamin E, Gingko Biloba), ibuprofen, or other nonsteroidal inflammatory drugs (e.g., arthritis medicine) for 2 days before and 2 days after your treatment because these medications can increase bruising.
- If you take birth control pills or estrogen, inform your teaching team about it.
- We recommend not to drink alcoholic beverages and not to smoke for 2 days before and 2 days after your treatment because drinking alcohol and smoking may impair healing.
- Do not apply any cream, lotion, oil, or self-tanners to your legs the night before or the day of your treatment.
- Eat a light meal or snack 1½ hours before your appointment.
- Bring loose fitting shorts or a leotard to wear during the treatment and long skirt or long loose fitting slacks to wear after treatment.
- It is advised when having treatment of Reticular Veins to postpone flying for 48 hours.
POST MICROPHLEBECTOMY INSTRUCTIONS
- Immediately after the procedure, you be advised to put on support hose and walk for 10-30 minutes. Please be sure to have loose-fitting slacks/skirt and comfortable walking shoes on the day of the procedure.
- We will use cotton balls with compression pads with or without tape, which generally can be removed after 24 to 48 hours. If you feel you are developing an allergy (rash/redness) to tape, please remove the tape and put on support stocking.
- If you remove the tape, remember and try to put support hose at least for 24 hours after the procedure.
- You are encouraged to walk as much as you normally and comfortably can and avoid prolonged standing.
- Avoid strenuous activities like weight lifting and high impact activities like aerobics and running for first 48-72 hours.
- Avoid hot baths for 2 weeks after sclerotherapy and cool your legs with cold water after each shower.
- Avoid sunbathing and UV exposure for 1 week after the procedure.
- Avoid blood thinning medications like Aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Motrin, Aleve etc for 24-48 hours if you can. For cardiac patients sometimes they do not have the option of stopping Aspirin, Plavix, Coumadin and alike. Please ask your doctor if you can stop these drugs safely or not. Our doctors can also help to answer few of these questions when you come for your procedure.
- If you experience any redness or bump or in a less likely scenario of open area, please contact us immediately. We would like to know sooner than later and recommend appropriate remedies.
- Generally, we advise avoiding flights for about 48 hours after the procedure.